Grade Change Policy
Once a grade has been submitted to the Office of the Registrar, that grade may be changed only under very specific circumstances. Grades may not be changed for the purpose of improving academic standing.
Once grades have been submitted, late or additional work cannot be used to justify a grade change, except in the circumstances described below:
- Errors in the calculation or transcription of a grade must be submitted on a Grade Change form directly to the Office of the Registrar through the end of the next full semester/term after the grade was submitted.
- All other grade changes must be presented on a Grade Change form and reviewed by the Academic Standards Committee and approved by the appropriate Dean. Grade changes arising from illness, family tragedy, or miscommunication, or instructor error will be given due consideration.
Student Initiated Grade Appeal Process and Academic Grievance
- The undergraduate student should go to the faculty member to ask for a grade change or to present the grievance to the faculty member.
- If the student is dissatisfied with the faculty member’s decision, they may petition the College Coordinator, to intervene no later than 30 days into the following semester/term after which the grade was submitted. The College Coordinator, will seek a mutually acceptable resolution. If there is no College Coordinator, move directly to step 3.
- If the student is still dissatisfied, they may then petition the Academic Standards
Committee (ASC) by completing the Student Appeal Form, which will list the course,
instructor, and a description of the grievance or reason for the grade appeal. The
petition should be submitted to the applicable Dean who will forward it to the Chair
of the ASC.
This form must be submitted no later than 8 weeks into the following semester/term after which the grade was submitted or the unresolved situation occurred.
- The Chair of ASC will contact the faculty member and ask for a one page letter explaining the grade or the event that caused the grievance.
- Supporting material may be submitted with the above letter and petition.
- ASC will recommend a decision to applicable Dean, who will notify the student of the final decision.